Putracized
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Putracized

Ghetto role playing & senior citizen harassment

You are not connected. Please login or register

Build Discussion

+3
darthcow
shao
josh
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Zakmonster

I am a Marauder Ranger, so I'm not so focused on multi-attacking and minor action attacks. Of my encounter powers, I have one minor action, a two-hit and a throw+charge. I might get a power that hits twice and attaches a nasty AC debuff, but it means that my minor action attack will not provide CA for the party.

I can focus-fire with Twin Strike or spread the love with Throw and Stab. I'm pretty survivable and I'm considering switching from Battlecrazed to Harmony Blade (losing damage for better defenses).

My MBA is 1d6+16 most times (12 base, 2 from shifting and 2 from Prime Shot weapon). It can go up to +20 if Manticore's Fury applies. I am also super mobile (not like Mala'chii is, but good enough). For instance, I can use TaS to maneuver to an enemy you might want to flank.

In any case, I can easily switch from being mobile artillery to mobile infantry at the drop of a hat, something to consider when we're splitting up.

27Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Zakmonster

Friday in the office, so its time to think about DnD.

Thinking of using this build instead of the one already posted in the character thread.

Spoiler:

The Changes

Longhand Student + Viper's Strike means I can push people at will (up to 2 squares). This can set them up for charges, or push them into Ed's threat range, or Shao's AE.

Polearm Gamble + Longhand Student + Viper's Strike + Heavy Blade Opportunity means that when people attempt to close in on me, they get pushed away. Lowers the attractiveness of targetting me with melee attacks.

Switched to scale armor because of stat changes. Gained 2 AC, lost 1 Fortitude and 1 Reflex. Lost 3 HP.

Buffs are still as strong because of Tactician's Armor.

Lost the party-wide +4 initiative boost. Gained the ability to punt someone forward at the beginning of combat (Battlefront Shift). Will take Improved Battlefront Shift soon, so I can punt two people.

Lost 1 accuracy because no longer using Greatspear.

Also opens me up for Battle Awareness + Polearm Momentum, but its a heavy investment.

tl;dr - I lost some numbers (initiative, accuracy) in favor of control and active defense. Worth it?

EDIT: Opening Shove will accomplish the same as Viper's Strike, except that it loses the defender-ish OA trick (the target can simply opt to not shift and we don't get free attack) and instead give one of you the ability to shift, or MBA the target (assuming you're in range). I trade my shitty damage for your awesome damage. Also saves me a feat because I no longer have to take Longhand Student.

Thoughts?

28Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm

shao

shao

In my opinion, I think you should play the Longhand build. You seem more enthusiastic about it, and also with our current lineup, I think we can afford to be less efficient, and more effective instead. Your ability to defend yourself would help the stability of the entire group, and you'll have more fun too!

Also, it's not like you're not giving us buffs and enablers already. Battle Captain's Level 16 feature is nothing to scoff at! So I think a broader base would be better than a narrow focus.

29Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Epic Destinies Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:23 pm

shao

shao

Hola,

There's a few I really like - so I'll put them down for your thoughts and ideas. What do you guys think?

Fang of the World Serpent (Primal) = become superchopper - probably the choice I'll take if i become consumed by my rage. But I don't like it that much as the Serpent isn't thematically appropriate for the Prince of Persia..

Deadly Trickster (any, requires Dex 20 and tricksy skills) = become Han Solo, and do all kinds of flamboyant, yandao things. Attractive and appropriate level of flair.

Diamond Mind (Monk) = become enlightened and get access to better external kung fu. A bit generic, but it could be useful to play up the whole "Soul of Flame" thing.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Monk) = become enlightened and get access to better internal kung fu. Lots of fun mobility and defense tricks, and I get to be an AD&D monk grandmaster, and worry about the Scarlet Brotherhood.

Master of Moments (Psionic) = become Prince of Persia with the Sands of Time.. Cool flavor and powerful abilities.

Eddy

Spoiler:

31Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty paragon flurry of blows Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 pm

shao

shao

ALL THIS TIME I FORGOT MY FLURRY OF BLOWS ACTUALLY HITS 2 TARGETS, NOT JUST 1...

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

32Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:02 pm

shao

shao

Estimated DPR:

Round 1

Fist of One Hundred Strikes (Encounter Power)

vs 2 primary targets = +19 vs Ref, 2d6+15 = average 22
Flurry of Blows to each target (swap) = 16 to each

vs 2 FOB secondary targets = 16 + 16 = 32 OR
vs 3 FOB targets = 16, 16, 32

Round 1 damage: 38, 38, 32, 32 to 4 targets OR 38, 38, 16, 16, 32 to 5 targets

Round 2

Fist of One Hundred Strikes again

Same as Round 1, except attacks are made against Will (Elan Mental Onslaught) = same damage options.

Round 3

Scattering of Leaves = same as Round 2, but damage drops by 1 for main targets.

So, it's really a 3-round burst of Double Flurries of an average of 102, 102, 96, 96 damage to 4 targets or 102, 102, 96, 48, 48 to 5 targets, for most encounters.

If I need to trigger FOB more than that, then I'll have to either Action Point or use my Daily powers.

I'll be quite mobile and have invested heavily into static defenses = AC 32, Fort 29, Ref 32, Will 29, so I should be able to take the heat for these 3 rounds of combat; accuracy and targeting hopefully won't be too hard to pull off, due to Flurry and Elan Mental Onslaught.

I don't really have much of a single-target Nova capacity, but that's fine by me.

Last edited by shao on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

33Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Zakmonster

Using this build:

Spoiler:

Round 1:
Brutal Barrage, Augment 1: 4 attacks at +20 to hit.
First attack does 6 damage, places fire and psychic vulnerability 4 to target (Psychic Corruption of Malbolge).
Second attack does 6 + 4 (vulnerability) = 10 damage. Knocks target prone.
Third and fourth attack does 6 + 4 (vulnerability) + 5 (Headman's Chop) = 15 damage.

Total of 46 damage from four attacks, so any resistances count 4 times (ouch).

Reaving Axe Brute triggers OA when prone target tries to stand up. Heavy Blade Opportunity lets me use Brutal Barrage. Assuming he does so on the first round.

Brutal Barrage, Augment 0: 3 attacks at +23 to hit (base 20 + 2 from CA + 1 from Strikebacks).
Each attack does 6 + 4 (vulnerability) + 5 (Headman's Chop) + 6 (Savage Axe) + 1d6 (Bracers of Tactical Blows + 3 (weapon) = 27 damage.

Total of 81 damage from three attacks.

What this means is that any targets that are prone and adjacent to me will most likely stay prone to avoid the OA. They can attack me at -2 penalty, or attack an adjacent ally at a -4 and eat Mindspike.

34Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:21 am

shao

shao

Hi Zaki,

Your Psychic Corruption-imposed vulnerability only applies to your attacks, right?

Nice work with the Reaving Axe + Khopesh + Brutal Barrage there, too.

35Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 am

Zakmonster

Yes, the vulnerability only applies to my attacks, unfortunately.

But with this focus on keeping people down, the entire party can safely invest in Headman's Chop/Gauntlets of Brutality, if they so wished.

36Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 am

darthcow

Spoiler:

Hola, any inputs on powers, feats and items will be useful

37Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 am

shao

shao

Hi Mark,

How about Demoralizing Strike? Would it work for you? The defense debuffs could be tasty.

Also, Belt of Vigor/ Belt of Blood? Would that work well with Winds of Sympathy?

And lastly, I see we can also be Team Psionic. Battlemind, Ardent, Monk, Psion... haha!

Regards,
Shao

38Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 am

darthcow

thanks shao

39Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 am

Zakmonster

I agree with Shao. Since you've taken Essence Conduit, you won't need Energizing Strike (they do pretty much the same thing), so you can swap it out for Demoralizing Strike.

40Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:15 am

darthcow

ya i'm actually deciding between energizing and essence, but i think i left both selected instead. lol silly me

think i'll go with 3x 1st level at-wills.
energizing
focusing
demoralizing

what about the utilities? i usually favour encounter powers over dailies.

level 2 utility
i think getting inspiring fort may not be a bad idea as i can pull off a nifty combo using my second wind. plus i've taken widen mantle so it's now a radius 10 which makes positioning alot easier.
while healing bond looks good on paper, it's an immediate reaction. since i'm doing most of the healing it may not be a good idea.

level 6 utility
escalating fury makes a good opener, first time i take damage i use it to give all in burst some thp.
mend wounds is a nice surgeless heal but it's also a daily power.

level 10
other choice would be reactive surge but i think zak will kill me if i remove tower of iron will.

41Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 pm

shao

shao

Hmmm, I am rather fond of Evade Attack (Level 6) myself. We can run about willy-nilly with wild abandon, daring the enemy to OA us - and if they do so, you cancel the OA. I foresee some synergy with Edmund's Artful Dodger too.

Body Adjustment could be of some use as well, but I think Escalating Fury is probably the best pick there.

Last edited by shao on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

42Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

shao

shao

I'm considering this combo:

Driving Rain (paragon Monk feat): Add Ki Focus enhancement bonus to Bull Rush attacks; push distance becomes my speed; I can shift the distance pushed to a square adjacent to the target after the push.

Thundering Bull Rush (paragon Primal feat): Bull Rush 2 targets instead of 1.

Directed Bull Rush (heroic General feat): Turn push into slide for Bull Rush attacks.

Fluid Motion (heroic Monk feat): +2 speed.

Rushing Cleats, Gauntlets of the Ram (we know what they do)

Temblor Weapon (add Proficiency and Enhancement bonus to Bull Rush attacks)

Blurred Strike Ki Focus (Flurry another time per round, but both must be triggered by separate attacks)

So that means I can punch 2 guys, +22 vs Fort, and slide them 10 squares and follow 1 of them, as well as trigger Flurry of Blows twice, either before or after the forced movement. That's pretty fun - I can toss the soldiers away, or slide the squishy artillery and controller monsters next to our strikers. I can also mix it up - toss soldier 10 squares away, then toss controller 10 squares to us, so that keeps them 20 squares apart.

In a pinch, I can also use this on allies - standard action bull rush 2 guys, slide them 10 squares, shift adjacent to 1 of them. Hilarity ensues, because Flurry of Blows procs off hitting a creature, not hitting an enemy - so I can trigger Flurry off this as well.

IF you guys take Agile Opportunist, I'll become some weird wannabe Warlord haha!

Standard Action => Slide two guys 10 squares, give them MBAs, shift 10 squares to follow, do Flurry damage to enemies.

Never thought I'll be optimizing Bull Rush in 4E, but there you have it...

43Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:30 pm

darthcow

Spoiler:

Think i was too focused on healing with last build. haha.
This new one uses Dimension Swap and Evade Attack, and a Whistle of Warning.

44Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Zakmonster

Mark:

I was just about to suggest Dimension Swap. This build looks better.

Shao:

Fun looking build, but does bull rush do damage? Also, this party isn't great on MBAs (I think Jansen and Mark are the only ones who will be fully accurate), so Agile Opportunist isn't going to be very worth it. The movement control will still be pretty good to have, though.

45Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm

shao

shao

Bull Rush doesn't do damage, but it triggers FoB twice as i hit 2 targets (thus qualifying for Blurred Strike).

That's +22 to Fort (+20 with Tiger Claw Style) for 16 (20) damage per FoB. (I'll take the penalty on softer targets, like the backline.)

So it's gonna look like this:

I hit Mob A with Bull Rush, trigger FoB on Mob B, Mob C, and Starblade Flurry to Mob D.

I also hit Mob B with Bull Rush, trigger FoB on Mob A, Mob C, and Starblade Flurry to Mob D.

That'll be 20 damage to Mobs A and B, and 40 damage to Mobs C and D.

So I can spread out 120 damage, throw out tons of forced movement and repositioning, on an at-will basis. Just an option, not something I would do every round - but good to have in the toolbox.

46Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 am

shao

shao

Choice 1: Adroit Explorer

Flurry damage capped at 12/ 16; Bull Rush does 16, 16, 32, 32.

I gain more durability (cos I can Eternal Mountain twice per encounter, which means 2 instances of Resist 5 until end of next turn; I also gain Resist 10 when I spend an action point; finally, Destined for Greatness allows me to boost my saves and heal myself) and more action point advantage; it's the more conservative and self-sufficient choice for long workdays. Also builds nicely into epic, when Form Mastery (epic feat) becomes available; whenever I spend action point, I can recover a Monk encounter power.

Choice 2: Tiger Claw Master

Flurry capped at 16/20; Bull Rush does 20, 20, 40, 40.

I gain more offensive abilities - can charge better, can do a super power attack with Flurry, gain autodamage stance, and the level 20 daily does a crazy amount of damage (Charge, make 2 attacks: 4d10 + Dex - if both hit, do extra 2d10, assume super Flurry stance). Does lots of damage, but it is a little squishy.

What do you think? Defense or offense? More human than human or THUNDERCATS HOOO?

Also, should I take Level 16 Magic Armor +4 and Level 11 Magic Amulet +3 (AC 32, Fort 29, Ref 30, Will 29) or Level 16 Magic Amulet +4 and Level 11 Magic Armor +3 (AC 30, Fort 30, Ref 31, Will 31)?

47Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 am

Zakmonster

Putting my vote in for Adroit Explorer.

Also, go for the +4 armor/+3 amulet.

48Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 am

darthcow

Zakmonster wrote:Putting my vote in for Adroit Explorer.

Also, go for the +4 armor/+3 amulet.

+1

49Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 am

shao

shao

Decided to settle on this one. The bull rush madness was cool, but it also depended far too much on one item, which Raihan has not yet approved - and it ate up tons of feats as well.

Spoiler:

This build has improved accuracy, damage and defenses over the previous one. No more forced movement - my control elements is limited to AOE damage, dazes, and prones, with the occasional stun. I'm generally capable of hitting many people, and hopefully my defenses can take the heat I'll draw. Also, this build has better skills due to the equipment selection (I picked lots of skill-boosting items).

This build only has one special request :Bracers of Brachiation - largely so I can be Spider-Man. If that application doesn't go through, I'll get a Power Jewel instead; I can Eternal Mountain 3 times in one fight, if it comes down to that...

50Build Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build Discussion Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:17 am

Zakmonster

So, I'm thinking about going Resourceful Warlord and Infernal Strategist. It means changing up the playstyle, being a bit more aggressive about getting flanking and stuff.

I am considering using a Drow Long Knife and getting Paint the Bullseye as my second at-will. Better when we want to focus fire elites and solos. I generally can only be flanking with one person, PtB benefits everyone.

Powers will stay the same, more or less. Level 15 is a toss-up between Infectious Determination and the other one that gives a lot of MBAs.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Actually, a thought just came to me. A bow/crossbow can be used as in improvised melee weapon, right? Which means I can Commander's Strike with it?

Harrying Swarm Captain lets me Paint the Bullseye without drawing an OA and it makes PtB a rattling attack. So I can flank with someone, PtB and give that person 2xInt mod to damage for the round.

Which possibly means getting a Ruby Scabbard and another weapon for the melee attacks that actually need to hit. Wondering if the double investment in weapons is worth it.

DOUBLE EDIT!!:

Another idea is getting Master of the Fist and a Ki Focus. Shoot people with bow, and then punch them in face. But that's probably too much of a feat investment. Conceptually badass, though.

Although hanging around in melee with a bow and light armor is a bit suicidal. Probably not the best idea I've had.

Which goes back to using the Long Knife, as it lets me use a shield. But it means that PtB will get less screen time when I'm flanking. I still have Commander's Strike, which is possibly numerically superior.

I could forgo PtB entirely and take Intuitive Strike or stick with Opening Shove, for the mobility option. And no, 3 at-wills is not really an option.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum